Frequently Asked Questions about AUCA’s Master of Science in Big Data Analytics
1. How much is the application fee?
Application fee is a non-refundable forty thousand Rwandan Francs (40,000 Frws) for nationals (Rwandan applicants) and One hundred US Dollars ($100) for international applicants. The fees are subject to revision from time to time, based on fluctuations of the national currency.
2. What do I need to apply for a MSc in Big Data Analytics?
Applicants are required to have a recognized degree offered by an institution of higher learning, in order to qualify for admission into a master’s programme. Also detailed list of required application documents is found on AUCA website via the link https://auca.ac.rw/msc-in-big-data-analytics/
3. How do I apply for a MSc in Big Data Analytics?
Apply to the office of the Registrar or directly to the department (Office of the Director of Graduate Studies). Take note of the list of requirements provided on the department website.
4. When can I expect a response regarding admission?
Admission can take a maximum one week to be ready, upon receiving a complete application file.
5. What is the application period?
We receive applications twice per year. We open the first round of applications from February 1st to April 6th. The second round runs from August 1st to September 30th.
6. What is the time for class commencement?
The first cohort begins classes on May 7th, and the second begins on November 1st.
7. How long does it take to finish the MSc in Big Data Analysis programme?
It takes two years to finish the programme.
8. When are classes held?
Classes for the MSc in Big Data Analytics take place on Sunday from 8am to 5pm Central Africa Time (CAT). In addition to this, students take an extra 3 hours session during the weekdays to their convenience and that of the teaching assistant(s).
9. What does the entire programme of the MSc in Big Data Analytics cost?
It costs around $4000 to complete the entire MSc in Big Data Analytics programme. That amount is paid in installments based on registered credits.
10. Who is eligible for AUCA’s Master of Science in Big Data Analytics?
- To be admitted to a Master of Science in Big Data Analytics degree at AUCA, an applicant is required to have a recognized degree in Computer Sciences, with at least a cumulative GPA of 2.4 on a 4 points scale or on 12/20 at undergraduate level offered by an accredited institution of higher learning in order to qualify for admission.
- Applicants from IT related studies, Mathematics, Statistics, Education with IT Major and Economics will be admitted upon completion of prerequisites, if any.
- Applicants with foreign academic qualifications shall obtain an equivalence of their degree certificates from Rwanda High Education Council.
11. Can I transfer credits from another university?
An applicant can be accepted on transfer basis by transferring a maximum of 50% credits from accredited University offering MSc in Big Data Analytics, if those courses are equivalent to courses offered by AUCA.
12. What is required of international applicants?
International applicants will be required to fulfill the aforementioned requirements and obtain a student visa from the Government of Rwanda (Directorate of Immigration and Emigration – DGIE), as well as the equivalence of the Bachelor’s Degree from the Rwanda’s High Education Council (HEC).
13. Does a prior registration to a module really matter?
Students are required to register for a module/course prior to attending classes. Any module/course studied without having registered to it will automatically be subject to the repeat.
14. Can a student suspend studies anytime?
No student shall be allowed to suspend studies after one month of a semester’s effective start, except under special circumstances. Thus,
- Permission to suspend studies shall be considered after producing satisfactory evidence of the reasons for suspension.
- Suspension after one month of commencement of the semester will not be bound to one’s funds refund.
15. What are the courses in this programme?
We teach the following courses in the Master of Big Data Analytics:
- Christian Philosophy and Ethics
- Advanced Research Methodology
- R for Data Science
- Python for Data science
- Distributed Systems
- Advanced Computer Networking
- Advanced Algorithm Analysis
- Statistical Computing
- Advanced Database systems
- Web Technologies
- Web Services & API Development
- Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- Information Retrieval and Data Mining
- Machine Learning, Big Data Essentials and
- Big Data Analytics.
Note: Students are required to complete an internship and a thesis after completing all courses.
- Who can I contact in case of further clarification?
For more details about the MSc in Big Data Analytics, kindly contact:
- Pacifique Nizeyimama, Ph.D
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com | +250 788810475
- Mr. David Hagumuwumva | +250 722213080 | +250783111431